Fire leaves family homeless

Posted

A fire in the evening of Aug. 2 destroyed the home at 100 Heath St. and left a family homeless

Madisonville Fire Chief Thom Jones said that at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 2, the owner of the home, Delcina Smith, left to take her children to football practice, and had left something cooking on the stove.

The stove then caught the house on fire while the family was away; a neighbor had called her when they noticed the house on fire.

The MFD was called, responding with two engines and 11 firefighters. When they arrived, the first floor was on fire, Jones said.

“It was an open concept home, and fire went upstairs immediately,” he said.

After extinguishing the blaze, firefighters went in with thermal imaging to look for hot spots. Jones said that at 1:30 a.m. the next morning, the fire rekindled and firefighters returned.

“The house was a total loss after first fire, both structure and contents,” Jones said. “When it rekindled, it burned the roof.”

Jones said firefighters contacted the Red Cross, and were able to get the family some assistance; the family’s insurance representatives also came out quickly.

In the meantime, Jones said the Smiths are staying with relatives, except for the family pet, which is “taking up residence at my house.”

Comments