WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) on Friday responded to the Obama administration’s threat to withhold federal funds from any public school district that does not abide by its transgender bathroom policy:
“America has woken up to yet another example of President Barack Obama doing through executive fiat what he cannot get done through our democratic process,” Cruz said through a press release. “Today, he decreed that schools across the country must allow men and boys to use the restrooms, locker rooms, and shower facilities previously reserved for girls.
“Not only is this decree contrary to law, but it makes no sense. There is a reason that we give girls access to their own changing rooms: It is for their privacy, safety, and security,” the release states. “The administration’s dangerous departure from that common-sense norm must not stand.”
Cruz said that in his years in law enforcement, he handled far too many cases of child molesters, pedophiles and abuse, and feels the threats of predators are serious.
“While the administration’s decree has no force of law in our constitutional system of government, the ‘implicit threat,’ as the New York Times reported, is that public school districts who fail to toe the line will face lawsuits and the loss of federal aid,” he said. “This is both legally improper and harmful to the most vulnerable among us — for what the Times failed to report is that the money the federal government sends to local school districts provides lunches for economically disadvantaged children and vital services for those most in need. So the Obama White House, for the sake of political correctness, is holding hostage the poorest, most disadvantaged children across the nation.”
Cruz said that from the administration’s lawsuit against North Carolina to the superintendent of the Fort Worth Independent School District in Texas, common-sense needs for safety and privacy are being trumped by leftist notions of faux egalitarianism.
“I encourage every school superintendent, school board, and parent across this nation to disregard this barely veiled threat from the White House aimed at overturning the utterly reasonable practice of preventing men and boys from entering girls’ restrooms and changing rooms,” Cruz said. “As a father of young girls, I wouldn’t want my daughters being forced to change in the same room as men and boys. It’s that simple. And parents across this country shouldn’t have to tolerate it either.”
Neither Madisonville Consolidated Independent School District Superintendent Keith Smith, nor North Zulch ISD Superintendent Doug Devine opted to comment on the issue.
Shortly after the presidential decree, the head of Fort Worth schools began ordering changes to the district’s policies. Subsequently, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick called for the resignation of Dr. Kent Paredes Scribner.
“After less than a year as superintendent, Dr. Scribner has lost his focus and thereby his ability to lead the Fort Worth ISD,” Patrick said. “He has placed his own personal political agenda ahead of the more than 86,000 students attending 146 schools in the district by unilaterally adopting ‘Transgender Student Guidelines.’
“Without any discussion with parents, board members, principals, and other community leaders, Scribner’s unilateral action underscores this lack of fitness to hold his position as superintendent,” Patrick said. “Campus safety should be of paramount concern for anyone in his position. Every parent, especially those of young girls, should be outraged.”
The State of Texas has an affirmative responsibility to provide a safe environment in the schools where attendance is compulsory, he said.
“While this may be an example of the need for the Legislature to pass a meaningful School Choice Bill, we must not allow the actions of Scribner to go unnoticed or unanswered,” Patrick said. “I call upon the parents within the Fort Worth ISD to take immediate steps to repeal this stealthy scheme and remove Dr. Scribner from his post.”