One thing that always surprises me is how high a percentage of people in this world believe in astrology.
Astrology, of course, being the whole, “what sign are you?” thing.
I’ve never put a whole lot of stock in astrology for no more reason than it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.
Another reason is that I’m a Scorpio (I was actually born on the first day of Scorpio), and I’ve never really particularly liked what that supposedly says about me.
The not-making-sense to me part simply has to do with the fact that I don't get how what time of the year I was born in can make far-reaching predictions about my personality.
I’ve noticed that twins are almost always polar opposites of each other, and they certainly are of the same sign.
The part about me not liking what Scorpio says about me is that I basically read the description to mean that I’m kind of a jerk.
Now I’m not saying that I’m not, but I don’t think it has anything to do with what time of year I was born.
But the fact that so many people around the world believe in astrology, particularly in America, has always seemed weird.
I just looked up several surveys online, and they all seem to place the percentage of people in America that believe in astrology to be between 25-30 percent. It certainly makes for fun readings in the paper in the morning, but honestly, it seems to me that this would be in direct contradiction to the tenets of almost every major religion.
This, of course, brings us to ice cream. Not everyone believes in astrology, and not everyone believes in religion.
But everyone believes in ice cream, and a study recently came out that I thought tied astrology together with my second-favorite dessert treat in an interesting way. My favorite is cake, just FYI.
I get tons of emails every day from different news organizations trying to sell me stories. We rarely use any of them, but one of the ones I received last week caught my eye for obvious reasons.
It was a study conducted by Baskin Robbins — the famous ice cream store. Apparently July is National Ice Cream Month. Just so we don’t leave anyone out, July is also National Blueberry Month, National Anti-Boredom Month (that one must have to do with kids out of school and it being too hot outside to play), National Cell Phone Courtesy Month (obviously not being enforced), National Hot Dog Month (I’m on that one like mustard on a weenie), National Baked Beans Month (also on that one), National Tennis Month (not so much), National Read An Almanac Month (they still make those?) and National Hitchhiking Month (not this close to Huntsville).
While I’ve never liked what astrology says about the fact that I’m a “harvest baby,” I find myself oddly at ease with the implications put forth by the good people at Baskin Robbins.
They singled out 10 flavors that make distinct predictions about your personality, and if you dig deeper online you can find just about any flavor you want.
Just in case you care, the survey was conducted on adults from the ages of 18-65, residing in the United States, and using a whole bunch of psychiatric and personality tests with awesome names like “the Million Clinical Multiaxial Inventory-III” and “the Zung Anxiety and Zung Depression Test batteries.”
My favorite flavor of ice cream is Rocky Road. I like the flavor, but I also like the consistency and the fact that the combination of marshmallows and nuts allow me to switch between different flavor and texture preferences mid-bite. I also like vanilla, but it’s a distant second.
So what does Rocky Road mean? Well, it means that I am aggressive, engaging and a good listener.
Becky, our managing editor, agrees with two of those three. I like that a lot better than what my being a Scorpio says — that I am manipulative, obsessive and jealous.
So that said, I’ll leave y’all with the other nine flavor sensations that Baskin Robbins says describe your personality. I hope you find it both complimentary and delicious:
• If your favorite flavor is Vanilla, you’re more likely to be impulsive, easily suggestible and an idealist.
• If your favorite flavor is Chocolate, you’re more likely to be dramatic, lively, charming, flirtatious, seductive and gullible.
• If your favorite flavor is, Very Berry Strawberry, you’re more likely to be tolerant, devoted and an introvert.
• If your favorite flavor is Mint Chocolate Chip, you’re more likely to be argumentative, frugal and cautious.
• If your favorite flavor is Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, you’re more likely to be ambitious, competitive and a visionary.
• If your favorite flavor is Pralines ‘n Cream, you’re more likely to be loving, supportive and prefer to avoid the spotlight.
• If your favorite flavor is Jamocha (i.e. coffee), you’re more likely to be scrupulous, conscientious and a moral perfectionist.
• If your favorite flavor is Chocolate Chip, you’re more likely to be generous, competent and a go getter.
• If your favorite flavor is Rainbow Sherbet, you’re more likely to be analytic, decisive and a pessimistic.
• If your favorite flavor is Rocky Road, you’re more likely to be aggressive, engaging and a good listener.